Jazzlines run a yearly non-residential Summer School course which is FREE to young musicians from Birmingham and the surrounding areas aged between 11 and 19. Open to young musicians with a range of abilities, from beginners to advanced, the programme offers instrumentalists and vocalists the opportunity to:
- Receive inspiring tuition from professional musicians
- Learn new creative skills and develop your instrumental & vocal technique
- Improve your ensemble playing and improvisation skills
- Develop your understanding of jazz harmony
- Socialise and create music with fellow young musicians
- Led by professional trumpet and bass player Percy Pursglove and professional vocalist and songwriter Sara Colman, the Jazzlines tutors are an experienced group of music educators and specialist jazz performers
How To Apply: Jazzlines Summer School 2017 will take place from Monday 21st August to Friday 25th August. To apply please download and complete an application form from this page and send to email@example.com . The deadline for applications is 21st July 2017.
For more information: Please email Jazzlines@thsh.co.uk or phone 0121 644 5066.
Background: In August 2012 Jazzlines co-ordinated a Summer School project which consisted of a week-long free course led by professional jazz musicians and Birmingham Conservatoire tutors Percy Pursglove and Sara Colman. The Summer School focused on developing key skills in aural training, ensemble musicianship, jazz repertoire and harmony. The project proved hugely beneficial and continued in 2013. Participants showcased their skills in the foyer of Symphony Hall at the end of the five day project to celebrate their achievements. The Summer School has taken place every year since, going from strength to strength.
The Jazzlines Summer School is very kindly supported by The Leverhulme Trust.