- Series of concerts celebrates Town Hall?s 175TH anniversary
- Three unique collaborations with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
- Mariinsky Theatre and CBSO join forces for Berlioz Requiem
- Beethoven from Daniel Barenboim and Riccardo Muti
- Star soloists include Renee Fleming, Ian Bostridge, Murray Perahia, Hugh Masekela and Joshua Bell
- Superb international orchestras, soloists and recitals
Town Hall and Symphony Hall Birmingham have unveiled the 2009/10 Birmingham International Concert Season, the largest international classical music series in the UK, outside London. The flagship series presents over 30 concerts at the city?s two premier venues and opens with the first of four concerts celebrating the heritage of the Town Hall to mark its 175th anniversary in October.
Over the course of the season, Birmingham welcomes a host of internationally renowned musicians including the combined forces of the Mariinsky Theatre and City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra under Valery Gergiev, the Staatskapelle Berlin with Daniel Barenboim, and Riccardo Muti conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra.
Concerto soloists include pianists Murray Perahia and Simon Trpčeski, trumpeter Hugh Masekela and violinists Joshua Bell and Nicola Benedetti. An impressive line-up of celebrity recitalists and chamber musicians includes the soprano Renée Fleming, baritone Sir Willard White, tenor Ian Bostridge, pianists Lang Lang and Emanuel Ax, City Organist Thomas Trotter and Sir James Galway. There are visits by the Czech Philharmonic, Moscow State Symphony Orchestra and Dallas Symphony Orchestra and period performance ensembles Amsterdam Baroque Soloists, the Academy of Ancient Music and Ex Cathedra.
Subscription booking now open
General booking opens Thursday 18 June
view full press release