General booking opens on Monday 23 May 2011 for the 2011/12 Birmingham International Concert Season, one of the largest international classical music series in the UK.
The flagship classical season includes the first concerts to be announced within a six-month Festival celebrating Symphony Hall?s 21st Anniversary (the wider Festival programme will be announced in due course).
- Wagnerfest – four great Wagner operas with The Royal Opera, Mariinsky Orchestra & Chorus, CBSO and Opera North
- 21st anniversary includes concerts by CBSO with Andris Nelsons and Vienna Philharmonic with Sir Simon Rattle
- Scott of the Antarctic Centenary Concert with expedition photos and world premiere by Cecilia McDowall
- Screenings of Dracula with original music by Philip Glass, and The Wizard of Oz with live soundtrack
- John Malkovich stars in The Infernal Comedy
- Duke Bluebeard?s Castle with ground-breaking video installation ? world premiere production
- Bach: A Beautiful Mind weekend returns
- Recitals by Lang Lang (Opening Concert of the 2011/12 Season), András Schiff, Andreas Scholl, Juilliard String Quartet, Leif Ove Andsnes
- Superb international orchestras and soloists including Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra and Thomanerchor, Lahti Symphony Orchestra and St Petersburg Philharmonic, Sir John Tomlinson, Bryn Terfel and Simon Trpčeski
Commenting on the Season, Andrew Jowett, Director of Town Hall and Symphony Hall said, ?2011/12 is lining up to be a great season artistically and a very special one for Symphony Hall as we celebrate its 21st anniversary with an extraordinary line-up of world class artists, innovative projects and large scale events. The Birmingham International Concert Season has a proud reputation as one of the UK?s most important seasons of visiting musicians – where else in Britain could you see four major Wagner operas in a single season, for example!”